Sunday 26 July 2015

Review: Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Displaying photo.JPG 
Mockingbird is a book by Kathryn Erskine, first published in the UK in 2012 by Usborne Publishing Ltd.

After her older brother's death, Caitlin has no one to explain the world to her. Caitlin sees things differently to other people. She has Asperger's syndrome. Everything to her is a confusing mix of colours, emotions and things she can't understand.  

When Caitlin reads the definition of 'closure' in the dictionary, she decides that's what she and her dad need. And as she struggles to find it, Caitlin learns a lot about friendship, empathy and how to let colour into her black-and-white life. 

I can see the light come on through my eyelids and I hear a creaking sound and then Mrs. Robbin's shaky voice. Can I get you something? Caitlin? Hot chocolate? Warm milk? 

My Dictionary.

Dictionary? 

Yes.

Oh. I was thinking of-

PLEASE.

More creaking. Okay dear.

I look up CLOsure and it says: the state of experiencing an emotional conclusion to a difficult life event such as the death of a loved one. 

I'm not really sure what to think of Mockingbird. 

On one hand, it was very informative and taught me a lot about autism and Asperger's syndrome. Also, I found it very deep and emotionally well written. 

But, on the other hand, I didn't really like it. Actually, it's not that I didn't like it. It's just, I didn't really enjoy reading it.  

I think Emma puts it better. We were both lucky enough to be given this book for free, and always like to give a book a chance. But, the way Emma described reading it was sort of not very fun to read. It's not one you'd really choose, or miss, if you get what I mean. 

-Beth and Emma

Happy Reading!♥
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment! Just select Name/URL in the comment bar below!