Thursday 2 July 2015

Review: Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider

Extraordinary Means is a book by Robyn Schneider, first published in 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books.

When Lane is sent to Latham House, a boarding school and isolation unit for sick teens, he has nothing to look forward to anymore. At least, that's what he thinks. 

But Lane is transported into a world that he never thought existed. One with hope, ill-fated love, Sadie, and the rare miracle of second chances.



Have you ever driven somewhere with the GPS on and you decide to stop off for a coffee or something? The GPS keeps giving you directions to your destination, keeps making this rerouting noise at every turn, like you've done something wrong. And suddenly, instead of following what your GPS says, you're actively ignoring it, and getting angrier and angrier at the stupid machine for telling you to turn right.

I'd always thought of myself as the passenger in this scenario, but as Nurse Monica went through my belongings, taking away my binders of makeup assignments, and the books on my desk, and even my college brochures, I realized that I was GPS.

I was the one who hadn't understood about the detour., and who kept trying to get back en route. I'd been rerouting at every turn, when the only thing to do was to stop protesting and go off course.

Before I start my (let's call it) rant, let's just say this book was EXTREMELY, poetically good. Like, really. Robyn Schneider has skills. This book is up there with the best. There was so many parts I could have picked out to portray this book in a better-than-good light, because that's just what it was, better-than-good. No one can write about a GPS in a poetic way, except this author. But, I can't hide the fact that it was painfully sad. And I hated the ending.

At one point, I actually thought there was hope. That there could be happiness.

At another point, I thought okay, it was sad, but it could still end sort of happily.

On page 289, my head was screaming NO NO NO.

On page 308, I had fleeting hope once more.

On page 317, my heart shattered into a million tiny fractured pieces.

I suppose, when a book says 'Life goes on until it doesn't' on the front, one should never have hope. Especially not for a happy ending.

But this book was not just sad. It was painfully sad. My heart aches for the story and the characters as if they are people I know and love. I think, the reason why I was so sad is not because of what the story says. It's what is hidden between the lines, under the surface. The tiny, twisted glimpses of reality.

You see, I can cope with things like The Vampire Diaries. People can be hurt and I won't bat an eyelid. Why? Because it's fake. It's not real. There are not actually people dying in a place called Mystic Falls because vampires drain their bodies of blood. But there are people being hurt and dying because of illness. The pain is so bad, so heart wrenching, because for some people the story isn't a story - it's real life.

-Beth

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Anyone can comment! Just select Name/URL in the comment bar below!