Sunday 12 July 2015

Review: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Displaying photo.JPG 
 Jane Eyre is a book by Charlotte Bronte, first published in 1847. 

Jane Eyre lived a lonely and tragic childhood. She cannot remember a time when her parents were alive, and is rejected by her Aunt. She is sent to Lowood school at the age of 10, and remains there until she turns 18. Jane wishes to discover the wider world, and advertises to become a governess. She is quickly accepted into Thornfield Hall and meets Mr Rochester, the owner of the house. 

They both quickly discover that they were destined to meet, and chose to become married. But Thornfield hall, as Jane soon discovers, hold a shameful secret - one that could keep Jane and her beloved Mr Rochester apart forever. 

No sooner did I see that his attention was riveted on them, and that I might gaze without being observed, than my eyes were drawn involuntarily to his face; I could not keep their lids under control: they would rise, and the irids would fix on him. I looked, and had an acute pleasure in looking - a precious yet poignant pleasure; pure gold, with a steely point of agony: a pleasure like what the thirst-perishing man might feel who knows the well to which he has crept is poisoned, yet stoops and drinks divine draughts nevertheless.

Most true is it that 'beauty is in the eye of the gazer'. My master's colourless, olive face, square, massive brow, broad and jetty eyebrows, deep eyes, strong features, fir, grim mouth - all energy, decision, will - were not beautiful, according to rule; but they were more beautiful to me: they were full of an interest, an influence that quite mastered me - that took my feelings from my own power and fettered them in his. I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at the first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me.

Although I have read Jane Eyre twice before, and loved it, it still intimidates me before reading. It contains 592 pages, so you can see why. 

This novel is timeless, and absolutely timeless classic and it will live on in generations to come, I am sure of it. It is one that warms and wrecks the heart, a true love story of complete agony but amazing strength. It is, and will remain to be one of my favorite books. I love it from the top to the bottom of my heart, it is a true masterpiece. And, as Jacqueline Wilson says, 'It still speaks to me as it does to so many women'.

Another reviewer, Sarah Waters, 'You have to be a grown-up to really get it.' But I disagree, I don't think you have to be a grown-up. I just think you have to know how to love. 

Beth

-Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment! Just select Name/URL in the comment bar below!