Wednesday 2 September 2015

Review: Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Displaying photo.JPG
Landline is a book by Rainbow Rowell, first published in 2014 by Orion Books.

TV comedy writer Georgie McCool can't actually visit the past. But she can call it.

The fact that she has a magic phone that enables her to talk to the 1998 version of her husband must be fate, right?

But why does she suddenly have access to this wonder? What does it all mean?

"You're Neal, right?"
He didn't look up again. "Right."
"I'm Georgie."
"Are you?"
"Sorry?"
"Are you really?" He asked.
"Um, yes?"
He nodded. "I thought it was a pen name. Georgie McCool. Sounds like a pen name."
"You know my name?"
Nail finally looked up at her. With round blue eyes and practically his whole head. "Your photos in The Spoon," he said.

Rainbow. Rainbow. Rainbow.

I don't even know what to say. How to describe this book.

Only Rainbow Rowell could write this one. It was...magic. Pure magic.

It's been a while since I've been so blown away by words. I'm actually shaking my head as I'm writing this.

The concept of Landline is so simple, but the way it's carried out has so much meaning.

I've always said that the way Rainbow writes has so much meaning, but I've never meant it this much. It was just so original. So different, so perfect.

I feel like words can't even explain how I feel about Landline. I feel so deeply emotionally connected with it. I cried at the end. Not for sadness, but for a specific young couple on page 335. Because I'm in a long distance relationship. I know how that feels.

But page 335-337 wasn't the only time I cried. I cried at the dedication at the start. I have to share this one, because even that carried so much meaning.

"This book is for Kai.
(Everything that matters is)"

Reading Landline felt warm and comfortable. Like a pillow and comforter cocoon. It felt safe. 

This one blew my mind. It was one of those books, you know? One of the ones you'd save in a fire.

-Beth

Happy Reading!♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment! Just select Name/URL in the comment bar below!